#DoesItWork? / Soapberri, The World's 1st Soap Grown from Trees

Soapberri, The World's 1st Soap Grown from Trees

Hello everyone! Hope the weekend and this week is treating you all very nicely! It's been raining and cold here, so I've been loving the fact that I can snuggle in sweaters and blankets. Not that I stopped during the summer... Today we're talking about something very special. These little bottles were provided by Soapberri, the world's first soap grown from trees! I received two Soapberri Relaxing Lavender Hair Lather and two Soapberry Body Lather; one Unscented and the other in Awakening Peppermint.

So if you don't know what a soapberry is, don't worry I didn't either, it is a soap nut (Sapindus Mukurossi) and is a fruit from sub-tropical Asia (think Taiwan, China, India and Nepal). According to Soapberri, "the early peoples of these regions uncovered the fruit shells' ability to create a gentle, cleansing lather that's naturally anti-bacterial. For thousands of years, the soapberry has been used as nature’s miracle soap to cleanse and nourish our skin and hair." So yes, a dried berry that when wet, gives a soapy lather... WHAT?! I read this and then knew immediately I had to try it out. So first things first, I'll go through the products starting with the Hair Lather and then move on to the Body Lather. I'll list ingredients and my thoughts.

Starting with the Soapberri Relaxing Lavender Hair Lather, below are the ingredients (as listed on CosDNA): 
Sapindus Mukurossi (Soapberry) Juice, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera) Juice, Cocamidopropyl Betaine*, Decyl Glucoside*, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate*, Polyquaternium-7, Centella Asiatica Leaf (Gotu Kola) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Citric Acid, Chamomile Extract, Olea Europaea Leaf (Olive) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Essential Oil
Note that ingredients marked with a * are derived from coconuts. Additionally, soapberry is the main and highest concentrated ingredient, along with aloe. Another thing to note is that the composition is much like other shampoos; there's surfactants, antistatics and moisturizers, but no preservatives. Due to the latter, the product does have an expiration date on the bottle itself, however the product should last about 3 years.

As far as the feel of the shampoo, its very liquidy and runny. It does pour out the bottle quite quick, so make sure you're aware of that. The lather it provides is very light and it feels nice on the hair. For my dry, chemically-treated hair, I definitely need a conditioner after use. The lavender scent is nice and light, but smells very nice. However, if you're not a lavender lover, it will be enough to bother you.

Overall, a very nice shampoo. I think if you're looking for something to cleanse and not strip, this is for you. If you need that deep clean, then you may want to try something a bit more clarifying. I think my only qualm is how runny it is. My demo on Instagram shows just how crazy it can get. Other than that, its a nice shampoo and would recommend it (conditioner advisable).

Now on to the Soapberri Awakening Peppermint Body Lather and Soapberri Unscented Body Lather. I'll display the ingredients for both below in that order.

Peppermint (as listed on CosDNA):
Sapindus Mukurossi (Soapberry) Juice, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera) Juice, Cocamidopropyl Betaine*, Decyl Glucoside*, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate*, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Citric Acid, Chamomile Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Essential Oil
Unscented (as listed on CosDNA):
Sapindus Mukurossi (Soapberry) Juice, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera) Juice, Cocamidopropyl Betaine*, Decyl Glucoside*, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate*, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Citric Acid, Chamomile Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Extract
As with the hair lather, ingredients marked with a * are derived from coconuts. Additionally, the product does have an expiration date on the bottle itself, however the product should last about 3 years. Soapberri markets the body products for those who are sensitive to scents and have skin issues such as acne and eczema. They also state that it has a pH level of 5.5, so it doesn't strip the skin of natural oils. Additionally, the product is baby-safe!

Fun fact, I used to get eczema as a teenager, however I feel as an adult, I've been able to take care of my skin to a point where I don't need to worry about it. Unfortunately, the girls tend to have very sensitive skin, so a lot of products don't work for their skin. Something like this though, this does. And luckily for them, they love peppermint scented products. Ok, not really fun at all, but it is a fact and ties into this.

Unlike the hair lather, I felt the body lather was not as runny and felt more like a traditional body wash. Again, peep the Instagram demo to see it in action. Perhaps the addition of shea butter? Anyways, the lather lathered just like the hair lather in that it was light and not drying. (Did that make sense?!) It felt rather moisturizing on my super dry skin, so I really do approve of the body lather.

Lastly, I want to talk about the soapberries that were provided. As mentioned in the beginning of the post, you can actually rehydrate the berries, rub them and then get a lather from them. I haven't tried this, but if there's interest, I'll do an Instagram post on it. FYI, if you do plan to purchase the sun-dried berries, you need to store the rehydrated berries in the fridge or freezer.

So what do you think of these products? Would you buy something like this? If so, which scent would you go for? Or would you brave trying the soapberries on your face? Let us know! Also, let me know if you'd like to see a demo of the berries themselves.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and I'll actually see you all on Sunday. I'll be taking Friday off to spend with family.

All of the products in this post have been provided for an honest review. Opinions are my own.
You may also like:

Post a Comment

© mrs. mosh. Design by MangoBlogs | Privacy Policy